Carolina Shrimp Soup
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (31-40 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped (about 16 cups)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh chives, optional
In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; cook and stir 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook just until shrimp turn pink, 1-2 minutes longer. Remove from pot.
In same pot, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Stir in kale and red pepper; cook, covered, until kale is tender, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes. Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in peas, salt, pepper and shrimp; heat through. If desired, sprinkle servings with chives.
Health Tip: This soup’s colorful mix of veggies means you’re getting a variety of nutrients. Aim for lots of color when planning meals through the day.